Friday, August 12, 2011

Something New

For someone who complained terribly all summer long about not getting to go running, I turned into a bored runner too quickly.

I suppose it is about time this happened. I have been running the same basic route into town and back for over a year now. This is partly because we live along a river . There is one bridge into town. As a result, the first 1/2 miles of any run going into town will always be the same. The houses never change, the trees haven't changed (yet), and it is the same ol' streets.

Now, I will give a big thanks to the Run Smiley Collective (and my blog) for this morning's run. Oh, I would have run regardless but I might not have enjoyed it as well as I did. I reached back into my collective memory for ways to run smiley. I considered admiring the homes and buildings in town that I so happily bragged about and included pictures in earlier posts. I wanted to discover something to extol in a photograph.


**POOF**


A landmark popped into my head. It is famous, sort of, and I never run past it. Oh, I still had to cover the same 1/2 mile going into town, but, after the bridge, I would run on untested asphalt. My goal end point would deliver a unique and historic point of view.


Suddenly, the run became fun again.


Meet the Gemini Giant along Route 66. One of the last remaining "Muffler Man" of the 1960's. It is funny that it took me this long to take a picture and post it since this is the most photographed landmark in the area courtesy of tourists travelling the historic Route 66.



This is not trick photography. He is bigger than that house.

By the way, the asphalt was scabrous. I took the sidewalks home. I stepped on a few too many rocks but what can you do? Sometimes the destination makes the journey.


A Rose By Any Other Name

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny and pretty much the epitome of Run Smiley. No run will ever be too boring - especially if you have a 15ft green spaceman to run to!

    ReplyDelete